Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Now I've said my ABCs...

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart."  (Colossians 3:23)

We decided to learn about the alphabet this week.  Jaden already knows his letters very well, but Jaxon needed a little help.  We've read several books to help Jaxon recognize each letter. And Jaden and I have taught him the ABC song, which he didn't really know before.  

The most fun we've had is an Alphabet Scavenger Hunt.  I created a piece of paper with each letter from the alphabet on it and the four of us went for a walk and had to find something that started with each letter.  Of course we couldn't put everything in our backpacks, so we took pictures of the things we found that we couldn't take with us.  (I'm sure there were people inside their houses looking out windows wondering why we were pointing a camera their way.)  This is a picture of the few things we were able to bring back:  a leaf, a rock, a stick, some pieces of grass, and some yarn (thanks to Kellye!).  We put smiley face stickers over each letter once we found something for that letter.

Anyway, it was fun and a few letters proved to be a little tricky.  Jason and I decided that if we were more knowledgeable in the horticulture area, we might not have had such a hard time with some of the letters.  Oh, well -- I guess it wouldn't have been as challenging either.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You're so creative! This is a great idea! But, I really think you should post the photo for letter X...I am on the edge of my seat for that one! : )

P.S.-- Thanks for the book title!

Leslye said...

Very cute idea! Mom was so glad to be able to help out in the hunt. She told me about it later that night! Sounds like you had a great time!

Jami said...

Ok. Because of Kristi's comments, I have to say that we had to use a few actual letters that we found on street signs and car license plates. That's what we did for X and Z. :-)