Thursday, August 28, 2008

You're a Grand Old Flag

"Obey your leaders, and submit to their authority."  (Hebrews 13:17)

Yes, I realize that as adults the above scripture is sometimes hard to follow -- especially with presidential elections upon us.  But it went along with what we learned about this week, and just because it's sometimes hard, doesn't mean we're not supposed to try, right?

Anyway, we learned about the American flag this week.  I intended to start the week by showing you a great picture of me and the boys in front of the huge American flag that falls so dramatically at the end of ACU's Opening Assembly.  It's my favorite part of this event and I always get teary-eyed and so full of pride for my country when it happens.  BUT -- it didn't happen.  That's right!  As long as I've been going to Opening Chapel it has always happened, but this time it didn't.  The flag got stuck and it didn't make it's dramatic entrance.  I was disappointed -- mainly because it is my favorite part, but also because I wanted a neat picture of us in front of the big flag.

We've learned why the flag has 50 stars and 13 stripes, what the colors stand for and we even practiced singing "The Star-Spangled Banner" while making red, white and blue beaded necklaces.  Today we made flags out of fun foam.  Jaden actually got to cut his stripes and Jaxon was content (after some persuading) that I needed to cut his but he could glue them on.  Then we painted "stars" (actually dots) on to the blue part.  It was lots of fun and they are very proud of their flags.

      

Learning about the flag this week has made them more aware of it because now when we're driving around town, they point out every flag they see.  :-)

No comments: