Monday, April 6, 2009

A Busy Weekend

On Friday, Jaden, Jaxon and I headed to Olney to help with the 5th Annual Steven Harvey Memorial Scholarship Dinner.  For those of you who may not know, this is a dinner in memory of my nephew, Steven, who was killed in a car accident five years ago.  He was an avid baseball player and so the year after his death, my brother-in-law decided to start this dinner to fund a scholarship to give to Olney baseball players.  We try to go each year to help and it never ceases to amaze me how much money one small town can give to such a  cause.
Steven was working at the co-op in Muleshoe when this happened.  His co-op had this sign made and gave to Jeff (my brother-in-law) so he hung it at the dinner this year.

This is Jeff in the middle with his brother (right) and nephew (left).  This was taken while we were cleaning up.  We sold out of barbecue sandwiches within 3 hours.  That's right, folks, two hundred and forty something pounds of meat was gone!

This is me, Tami (my sister) and my dad pitching in to help the cause!

Jaden and Jaxon wanted to help, too, so they sat with my sister to take the money.

But after a little bit of "helping," my mom decided it was best if the kids go play on the playground.  So, she graciously took them over there to watch them so I could help with the dinner.  This is Jaxon, Sydney (Jeff and Tami's granddaughter) and Jaden after they climbed the rock wall.

All in all it was a great evening and wonderful event.  Like I said before, it never ceases to amaze me what the people of Olney will give to this cause.  We ended up raising over $5,000 just that night alone.  Isn't that a wonderful testament to Steven's life and the life of Jeff, Tami and the rest of his family!

Saturday was filled with lots of things, too.  We started the morning with Cody's Opening Day parade for Little League.
That is Cody in the middle waving.

Uncle Jeff let Jaden and Jaxon ride with him in the big fire truck.  They had so much fun!  When we first got there, Jeff was honking the horn and Jaden said, "Ooh, Mom, that's loud," and acted a little scared.  But by the time they drove to where we were standing, Jaden wouldn't let go of the horn.  He honked it all the way down the street.
Here they are at the fire station after taking the truck back.  They think that Uncle Jeff is pretty cool because he drives a fire truck (among other reasons)!

After the parade, my mom and dad and Jaden and Jaxon headed to Arlington to a Texas Rangers game.  Mom and Dad had already bought the tickets before we found out that it was Cody's opening day.  So, the little boys got to go for a day of fun with Nana and Pawpaw.
I stayed in Olney to watch Cody's first games.  He had a double header in the hot Texas wind.  
Here he is after he scored a run.
And here he is pitching for the first time this season.  He did a great job!  I'm proud of you, Cody Wayne!
Nana and Pawpaw bought all three boys a Josh Hamilton t-shirt.  They were so excited!

On Sunday we had Cody's 11th birthday party.  Unfortunately, I didn't get any good pictures from it though.  The wind about blew us away and I kept forgetting to take pictures.  Anyway, we went to the park and all the kids played and had a great time!

It was a fun weekend, and I'm thankful that I have family close enough to share special times with!


Nana and Pawpaw said...

We are so blessed!! We had a great time!

Kristi's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cody said...

hey i loved it

Tami said...

You do such a great job! Thanks for being here for that busy weekend and for all you did to help. I just enjoyed having you all here for a few days! I think we had a lot of fun!!!